January 18th 2019 Chimney Fire
On Friday, January 18th at 15:23 the Esopus Fire Department was dispatched was dispatched for a reported Chimney Fire at 203 Burroughs Drive. Due to the nature and location of the fire the Highland Hose Company was also dispatched with 1 engine to the scene. The first arriving unit was on the scene within 4 minutes and requested a 2nd alarm, confirming an active Chimney Fire with extension to the structure. Firefighters attacked the fire and were able to bring the fire under control within 45 minutes but remained on scene for over 2 hours. The fire has been listed as accidental.
Esopus Firefighters were assisted by the Highland Hose Company, Milton Engine Company, Rifton Fire Dept, St Remy Fire Dept, City of Kingston Fire Dept, Port Ewen Fire Dept, New Paltz Fire Dept, Town of Esopus Volunteer Ambulance Squad, Ulster County Fire Investigation Unit, Ulster County Emergency Services – Division of Fire, Town of Esopus Building Dept, Town of Esopus Highway Dept, Central Hudson and the New York State Police.
With the upcoming inclement weather, we ask that everyone checks their chimneys to make sure they are clear and safe. Also, if you are using a woodstove or fireplace, use only wood that is safe. (i.e. seasoned fire wood)
Please remember some other simple tips that could help save your life:
• Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide alarm work
• If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT and STAY OUT