December 26th 2019 Chimney Fire

On Thursday, December 26th at 16:04 the Esopus Fire Department was dispatched to a report of an attic fire at 75 Main St in Esopus. Port Ewen Fire Department was dispatched with an engine on a daytime response and later requested with their ladder truck to the scene. The first arriving unit was on the scene within 3 minutes and found an active chimney fire and a smoke condition in the residence. Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the chimney and had the fire under control within 30 minutes. The Town of Esopus Volunteer Ambulance Squad was requested to the scene for standby but there were no injuries to any residents or firefighters. The residence was turned back over to the homeowner and no one was displaced.

Esopus Firefighters were assisted by the Port Ewen Fire Department, the Town of Esopus Volunteer Ambulance Squad, the Ulster County Department of Emergency Services, the Town of Esopus Building Department, and the New York State Police.

We would like to remind everyone as it gets cold out to please have your heating equipment and chimneys checked and cleaned. If there is a fire, don’t delay, CALL 911.